Anna Filina's Blog:
Podcast About Sexism in Tech What I Learned
March 28, 2012 @ 12:03:33
voice your opinion now!
Anna Filina has a new post to her blog about her participation in the "Sexism in Tech" podcast that was recently released on the "Voices of the ElePHPant" podcast.
I had the pleasure of discussing with fellow members of the PHP community a very sensitive topic: sexism in tech. I have been invited to a special episode of Voices of the ElePHPant with Elizabeth (Beth) Tucker Long, Elizabeth (Liz) Naramore and Laura Thomson. Cal Evans was the host. The podcast's page features links for some of the topics discussed. The purpose of this post is not to transcribe the podcast, but to share with you what I learned from this conversation and what I personally took away from it.
She talks about some of the comments that came up about the general tech culture and attitudes around women, some thoughts about "brand hygiene" and her opinions on wether the tech industry (or more specifically software development) will mature past this gender issue being a problem.
The Tech Skills You'll Pay More for in 2010
December 30, 2009 @ 12:07:21
voice your opinion now!
According to this new article on CIOUpdate.com there's a few skills that are looking to be in high demand for 2010 including PHP!
IT contractors with Web-related development skills have the most sought-after talents heading into 2010, while demand for mobile developers is growing quickly, according to a new study by Elance. In particular, the online contract worker marketplace said 2010 is shaping up to be a hot year for developers with PHP, HTML, CSS, WordPress and Adobe Flash skills, as well as designers with Photoshop expertise. Demand for those skilled in the MySQL database also cracked a Elance's top-ten list of 2010's most requested skills.
They also point out that Elance has given PHP it's "MVP" award for being the most consistently in-demand skill.
Banis & Associates (Recruiter) Seeks Tech Lead (Southeast US)
July 28, 2009 @ 09:09:10
voice your opinion now!
||Banis & Associates (Recruiter)
Our client, headquartered in the Southeast, is an online marketing services company that acquires new customers on behalf of brands in a variety of vertical markets, ranging from home and business services to education and automotive. Capabilities include lead generation, sales conversion, performance tracking and marketing channel optimization. Founded in 2000, the company has six offices and more than 500 employees.
Provide PHP programming and functionality for a wide variety of consumer related websites, intranets, extranets, and web-based applications.
Collaborate with business leaders to understand technology needs and requirements and lead a small team of developers.
Be challenged on a daily basis to solve problems in new and creative ways.
Design, evaluate, update, and maintain object oriented applications in PHP.
Share your opinions and insights with business leaders on a daily basis in order to affect rapid decision cycles and effective solutions to business requirements.
Translate vague business requirements into tangible and accurate technical requirements as well as anticipate future requirements within the design of new systems.
- Bachelor's degree in Information Sciences or similar field.
- 5+ years of solid PHP and MySQL development.
- The ability to translate business requirements into system design.
- Successful track record of working in a fast-paced, collaborative team environment.
- Exceptional debugging skills and the ability to easily and quickly read and modify existing code.
- Ability to effectively communicate with business leaders and marketing managers.
- Desire to take an active role in the success of the business unit.
- Genuine interest in our business and in creating technologies to enable its success.
- Sense of humor
Further information can be obtained by contacting:
Jeanne Boyce - Banis & Associates
at 815-468-0150 or email@example.com
All inquiries are kept on a strictly confidential basis.
MNC Seeks Tech Lead (India)
January 23, 2009 @ 11:19:14
voice your opinion now!
This Position is a hands on technology position, that enables driven leaders with deep tech skills to take complete ownership of projects including their overall planning, execution and success. They lead a team
of 5-15 engineers and manage all aspects of up to 2 projects including the technology, schedules, quality as well as recruitment and mentorship for their team members.
This is a hands-on position and the Tech Lead is expected to be actively involved in code execution and review.
- Lead high energy dev teams to create complex internet applications
- Architect and deliver highly reliable, scalable, maintainable and operable large-scale internet applications
- Manage entire project lifecycle - design, documentation, coding, testing and deployment
- Lead cross functional teams to ensure project success including managing the user experience and product fit
- Research and adopt global best practices and technologies that aid in our end objectives
- Mentor team members, identify manpower requirements and coordinate recruitment and training processes
- 8+ years of software engineering experience, of which 3+ years have been spent leading a team
- Proficient in PHP and SQL programming.
- Excellent oral/written communication skills in English
- Experience in building large scale globally distributed solutions
- Excellent grasp of Networking Concepts, OOPS, Application Design, Web Applications, Web 2.0
Concepts, RIA and Usability
- Excellent understanding of Data structures, Advanced RDBMS concepts etc
- Conceptual and functional knowledge in OLAP and BI would be helpful
- Excellent at architecting complex high availability solutions involving multi-threading, Async IO, horizontal partitioning, load balancing, globally distributed deployments etc
- Experience in Linux/Unix
- Excellent logical reasoning
- Experience in SOAP, XML-RPC or some Remoting / Distributed computing / SOA technologies
- Experience in using SCM tools like CVS, SVN etc and using issue-tracking tools like JIRA, Mantis etc
- Process oriented with a penchant for automation, analysis and processifying mundane tasks
- Knowledge of Agile development methodologies (XP, Scrum, etc.)
- Active blogger
- Contribution to Open Source Projects
- Conversant in Klingon
About the Company
The company is a $300+ million group of businesses, creating Internet software for millions of global users. You will be part of teams that are responsible for architecting and developing large-scale, globally distributed software solutions. These projects involve myriad technologies, diverse platforms, networking concepts, complex algorithms and latest application paradigms such as Ajax, SOA etc and are deployed across hundreds of servers, process terabytes of traffic, and serve millions of users.
The Business Unit
This is one of the world's leading companies in the traffic monetization business. By revenue, it is the #1 fastest growing domains parking company worldwide for 2006 & 2007, and currently features amongst the world's Top 3 largest domain parking companies. By headcount, it is the #1 largest domains parking company worldwide.
The focus is on building mass market products in the internet advertising space. The applications rely on making split second intelligent decisions using large amount of data. Most of the databases are hundreds of Gigabytes and some over a Terabyte in size. Currently over 500+ CPUs and more than 500+ GBs of ram are used to run the network.
Contact Sudip Sen for more information or to apply: firstname.lastname@example.org
Don't see your event here?
Let us know!